5 Factors That Influence the Success of Dental Implants in Braselton
Dental implants are by far the best choice you can make in tooth replacement. They closely mimic the function of natural teeth, allowing you to eat, speak and smile with ease once again. Dental implants in Braselton enjoy a high success rate (from 95 to 98 percent) and when cared for properly, they can be expected to last the wearer’s lifetime.
There are some factors that may influence the success of dental implants and be knowing what they are can help you to make the best decisions for your oral health. Keep reading to learn more about keeping your dental implants healthy.
Factors Affecting Dental Implant Success
While the dental implant failure rate is small, it can still happen, but there are some things you can do to help your dental implants succeed. We’ve listed the top reasons for dental implant failure below.
1. Smoking. Smoking is a factor that significantly impairs healing and decreases the chances of implant success. If you are a smoker and are considering dental implants in Braselton, it is in your best interest to cease smoking 6 months prior to implant surgery in order to increase your chances for a permanent result.
2. Bones. Solid, healthy bones are also typically a necessary consideration to perform dental implant surgery. If it is determined that your bones are not sufficient to support your dental implants in Braselton, there are several types of bone grafting procedures available to bulk up the bone and make implant placement a possibility for you.
3. Staging. The staging of the surgery is also another key factor. Recent studies suggest that staging the surgery in more than one procedure by extracting the tooth, waiting several months for the post-extraction site to heal, and then placing the implant increases the likelihood of a successful outcome.
Not everyone poses the same risk of failure by staging the implant surgery in only one stage. When you choose an implant provider, be sure he or she evaluates your anatomy to determine a treatment plan that will allow you the best possible and longest lasting outcome.
4. Diet. How you eat after implant surgery plays a role in your implant’s integration as well. It is recommended that patients maintain a soft food diet and try to avoid chewing in the area of surgery for three months after implant surgery, or as directed by your surgeon. Keeping a healthy, well-balanced diet is also good for your overall health, and will aid in the healing process.
5. Hygiene. It is important to maintain good oral hygiene as a part of post implant surgery care. Brushing, flossing and rinsing regularly will help reduce the chances of an infection developing and compromising the integrity of your implant.
If you’d like to know if you are a candidate for dental implants in Braselton, or if you’ve got an upcoming procedure and would like information on ensuring the success of your dental implants, please don’t hesitate to call our office so we can discuss your treatment and make sure you fully understand what’s going on with your smile replacement, every step of the way.